1) When people put in work orders for a long list of things. They want it done NOW. But they don't want you in their apartment unless they are there. They are not currently home. Hmmmm, maybe they will be home in 2 days. Okay let's schedule an appointment for 2 days from now at this specific time that THEY choose. Two days later, we come a-knockin and they don't answer the door. We can't go in because they told us not to. So, we can't get the work done. And then they get pissed that the work still isn't done......
2) When people complain about how they can't pay rent. Or they can't make it into the office to pay in time. First of all, we are open 6 days a week. You can pay early, you know... You can bring it in one, two, three weeks before rent is due. A month in advance. On the 1st. 2nd. 3rd. or 4th of the month! Maybe getting off your butt and coming to the office is too much for you. This is why internet was created. We have a website. Didn't you know? You can pay online with a credit card, debit card, e-check and you can even have it automatically come our of your bank each month. Or you can have your bank mail me a check. The options are amazing! The only thing I cannot do is accept cash. But there's always that one person who makes everything difficult.
They say (but don't really say): "Oh my gosh, Sarah! It's 4:45PM on the 4th, I know rent is due in 15 minutes and I've literally had my entire life to figure this out but I've waited until just now to think about it. How can I pay my rent?"
I say: "Bring in a personal check."
They say: "I don't have a checking account!"
I say: "Go get a money order."
They say: "I don't want to pay the extra money to get one!"
I say: "Pay online."
They say: "I don't believe in the internet."
I say: "Set up bill pay with your bank so that they mail it to me each month."
They say: "They will send you a check when I don't even have the money in my account!"
(I say in my mind:"JUST SHUT UP ALREADY. FIGURE YOUR OWN LIFE OUT")
Then they keep on talking "Oh I just can't get there in time. I've had so much going on. My car broke down and my boyfriend cheated on me. My brother's girlfriends sisters cat died and we had to have a funeral in her yard out in Kennewick a week ago and I've just been so busy..... FINE I'll bring rent to you in cash right now."
I say for the one millionth time "I don't accept cash"
They say "WHY?"
(I say in my mind: "Do you even have a brain?")
They say: "Whatever, I'll just figure it out. Can you wait an hour past your shift for me to deliver my rent to you so that you don't charge me a late fee? I'm on my way right now!" (that last part was fluffed up a little bit....)
(I say in my mind "No, you idiot, I'm outta here. It's dinner time.")
I say out loud: "I do apologize but the office closes in 15 minutes. I really must leave but if you can get in first thing in the morning I'll see what I can do"
...So they huff and puff and agree to try really hard to arrive in 15 minutes or to meet me at my office door first thing in the morning to avoid a late fee. Well, first thing in the morning arrives and look whoooooo isn't there, of course. They get a late fee. And they are mad at ME because they are late.
Repeat this scenario every first week of the month.
#lifeofapropertymanager
No comments:
Post a Comment