Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The ghetto life

I have a feeling my life is going to quickly be filled with things I have never experienced before. For example, I woke up this morning only to discover that our water had been shut off. The boys forgot to/didn't have the money to pay the bill. That means no shower, can't flush the toilet and can't drink... And I'm so sick! All I WANT to do is shower and drink water and pee every 30 minutes. When whining about it to my boyfriend, he said "You are so picky." He has had to live like this, "in worse conditions," his entire life---the whole being broke and forgetting/not having enough money to pay the bills. Then it dawned on me... for the millionth time...

I am so blessed to be born into the family I was and to have been raised the way that I was. I had parents who made plans. They were married 5 years before they had me. They saved every penny they had to ensure that their children could be completely cared for. They drove cheap, fuel efficient cars until they couldn't be driven anymore! They rarely went out to eat or to the bar or to a movie. They sacrificed a lot of "fun time" so that they didn't ever have to worry about bills. I grew up with a full pantry, health insurance, a clean house and parents who cared enough about me to make something of themselves BEFORE they had me. They educated themselves and they BOTH worked.

I take a look around at those people that have multiple cars, go out to eat all the time and buy a bunch of crap and suddenly it all makes sense to me.... It's all about priorities. Finances, safety, support and protection were my parent's priorities. Fun, expensive food, games and toys are priorities to others. In this moment I make the decision to NOT be the latter. I WANT to follow in my parents footsteps. It's not going to be easy. It's really HARD to think in the way my dad does, especially when I am surrounded by those who are irresponsible. But I have a choice. I CAN choose how I spend my money and how to rank my priorities. I refuse to live in this ghetto life forever. Things may be hard right now, but I swear to myself and to the kids I will ONE DAY have, that I will improve my financial situation and I WILL move forward in life. I owe it to myself, to them, and to future generations. I'm already a step ahead of others. I have a degree. I will be starting a job. I want to go FURTHER, and I WILL.

So think about it.... what are YOUR priorities? It's all about choices. Let's make the RIGHT ones :) Oh, and cheers to smart parents! The best thing you can do for your kids is to make something of YOURSELF BEFORE you have them. Otherwise, you're just being irresponsible and selfish....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Confessions of a Property Manager Pt 8

I feel like I have talked about this subject numerous times on the internet and with coworkers and friends. I just can't let it go so I...