Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Fitness Challenge?....

BLANK Fitness Challenge (which I will not name here)
It is a 12 week fitness challenge that is advertised at the price of only $25 per week. It includes group training and a meal plan. If you win (lose the most weight) you win $1,000. Sounds great, right?

Let's start from the beginning...

So, I saw an ad for the 12 week challenge on Facebook. It caught my eye because I have a couple friends who are a part of it and they had good things to say. I have seen a few of my former high school classmates succeed in weight loss while doing this challenge. It intrigued me and sounded cheaper than what I was doing at the time. (and it is cheaper and it is cheaper for a reason...)

I registered for the challenge for 'only' $25, as it was an "early bird special" and that price would only last 9 more hours! I found out throughout the span of 2 months that the $25 'early bird special' was the always special, nothing early or special about it... I even called them out on it on Facebook a few days after I paid because the ad still said the "special" of $25 but this time it would last only 12 hours! They replied and they said it must be a mistake... Clearly it is a strategy to give people the sense of urgency and to feel that they would be one of the elite if they got in early. I can understand that. I also work sales but I don't lie to people.

Despite my feelings about the "early bird special" I tried so hard to go into it with an open mind and tried to be excited. My orientation was scheduled on a certain day at a certain time.
I showed up for orientation at their "gym" or "training center" or whatever they call it... and walked into a room of about 40 people and loud music. Most people there appeared to be females ranging from ages 18-60. There were a few men in there who all looked middle aged and a bunch of screaming kids running around. I instantly did not feel good. The aura was not a positive one. It felt like I had just walked into one of those "get rich quick" scheme meetings.

Now, I know I shouldn't judge others on appearance... but all the "trainers" look so young! Some were previous clients and the others looked to me like young folks who just need jobs before and after school. One young guy kept giving high fives. I'm not a fan of high fives....

I admit that they were extremely organized. Clipboards, pens, a stack of papers strategically placed in a certain order... I also imagine Hitler was organized, but that is a different topic.

Anyway, they handed each of us a folders including 50 some odd pages of bullshit and rules.

  • An entire page with like 10pt times new roman font of everyyything that will disqualify you in the program (You would be disqualified from the challenge if you didn't weigh-in every single Monday, work out with them at least 3x per week and if you didn't submit your food journal every week, don't answer their phone calls, etc.) 
  • Codes of conduct (YOU MUST have a good attitude, respect others, listen to everyone before you make an opinion about them, blah blah this and blah blah that... What, is this third grade?)
  • Meal Plans (Seriously - yogurt, granola and blueberries are your idea of a balanced breakfast? Surely a real trainer would know that each individual has different caloric needs! Plus, I don't trust anyone who promotes dairy products)
  • Homework (At home workouts, things to think about, stuff you have to do that week like record every single glass of water you have, etc.)
  • And more bullshit. A whole page on what to eat if you are breastfeeding. Lol. Why.... 

There were a lot of bolded words throughout these pages. Things like "PROBLEM" and "CAN'T"....
I am sorry, but what kind of personal training center, which is supposed to foster a positive environment, highlights negativity and words that promote failure? I am used to the word "can't" being forbidden...

I read their lengthy contract in its entirety. In teeny tiny font it mentioned the true cost of the program which is NOT $25 per week for 12 weeks. It is actually $33 per week for 12 weeks OR $25+tax per week for 16 weeks. At the end of the challenge they will keep on charging your bank account every week until you write them a letter notifying of your wish to cancel the program and you then must mail it to their corporate office. I presume a lot of these letters get "lost in the mail" and I get this sense due to the excessive mentioning of attorney's and that you are legally responsible for cost if you don't continue to pay, etc. Interesting...

I just sat in the group listening to these younglings speak and watched everyone in the crowd nod in unison. No one had questions! People weren't even reading the contract!

All of a sudden the meeting was over and everyone lined up in a single file line at the counter and happily handed the kids their credit cards and signed contracts. My heart was racing with anxiety and I felt nauseous over how everyone was just okay with this?! Then I realized the type of people who were there. These folks have never worked out in their lives. They haven't eaten nutritious food. They do not know where to begin. It is 2016. We constantly have diet programs shoved in our faces and we do not know what to do. We feel helpless. We are told South Beach diet works! Atkins works! Paleo Works! But nothing is working. We continue to fail. So, we choose something close to home and we choose something where we get told what to do.

I get it now. But I wasn't having it. It was not right. It may work for some people but I knew this was not where I belonged. I stood in that line watching women swipe their cards and hand in their contracts. When it came to my turn I stood and stared at the line of "trainers" and said "I am not interested". I ensured that my credit card was not ever going to be charged again. I didn't turn in any information about me and told them "some other time"....#ORNEVER....

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Confessions of a Property Manager Pt 8

I feel like I have talked about this subject numerous times on the internet and with coworkers and friends. I just can't let it go so I...